Medicaid Canceled?

What can I do if my Medicaid is canceled?

You have the right to ask why your Medicaid was canceled and if you can get coverage again.

If you have received a letter from local social services that your Medicaid has been canceled or there is a reduction of coverage, you can ask for “an appeal.” An appeal is your way to ask the state why your coverage was canceled and if you can get coverage again.

Follow these steps to make your appeal:


Contact your local social services agency right away. You only have 60 days, or less than 2 months, to appeal your canceled Medicaid. Take action right away after you receive a letter. If you ask for a hearing within 10 days of receiving your letter, you can continue to receive benefits until the first hearing decision is made. Find your local social services agency at


Request a hearing. To start the process, call 877-201-3750 or visit and click “Get Help.” For free help requesting a hearing, contact the nonprofit organizations below.


Get help. If you think DSS was unfair or violated your rights in the Medicaid renewal process, you can call 1-800-936-4971 or email to report a violation.

Download a printable flyer

Still have questions?

Contact Us For Help