Legal Services

If you think your rights were violated by your Department of Social Services (DSS), call 1-800-936-4971 or email


Have you been told you are not eligible for Medicaid?
Was your Medicaid coverage terminated?

Free help is available across North Carolina. Request legal assistance and learn about your rights under NC Medicaid by contacting one of these nonprofit organizations:

Serving people statewide except for Medicaid matters in Mecklenburg County

Call: 866-219-LANC (5262)

Serving people who live in Mecklenburg County

Call: 704-376-1600

Serving people who live in Avery, Buncombe, Henderson, Jackson, Macon, Madison, Mitchell, Polk, Rutherford, Transylvania, and Yancey counties

Call: 800-489-6144