Are you new to Medicaid?
How to use your Medicaid plan to get healthcare
Now that you have enrolled in Medicaid, you must pick a health plan and a doctor. You must have a health plan and doctor before you can get covered services like office visits, blood tests and X-rays.
There are many ways to learn about health plans and doctors:
- BY PHONE: Call the N.C. Medicaid Enrollment Broker at 833-870-5500
- ONLINE: Visit ncmedicaidplans.gov
- BY MAIL: Fill out the paper enrollment form you received in your enrollment packet and return it in the mail or by fax.
- MOBILE APP: Use the NC Medicaid Managed Care mobile app for Android or iPhone.
If you don’t select a plan, don’t worry—Medicaid will choose a health plan and doctor for you. Read a full list of the services covered under your Medicaid plan.
Do you have questions about how to use your Medicaid benefits or are you having trouble accessing care?
Contact your N.C. Medicaid Ombudsman. You can reach them at 877-201-3750 from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. Monday through Friday or visit their website at ncmedicaidombudsman.org.
After you have a health plan and a doctor, Medicaid will send you a welcome letter and your Medicaid ID card in the mail. Many plans also allow you to view or print an electronic card from an online account.
Here’s how to use your Medicaid card to get health care:
- Take the card with you to the doctor or pharmacist so they can verify your eligibility.
- Keep your information updated. Make sure to contact your local Department of Social Services if something changes, like your address or head of household.
Keep your information updated. Make sure to contact your local Department of Social Services if something changes, like your address or head of household.
Free help is available across North Carolina. Request legal assistance and learn about your rights under NC Medicaid by contacting us today :